In Canada, the Canadian Association of Pipeline and Utility Locating Contractors (CAPULC), a nonprofit association that provides leadership, promotes safety and works to enhance the value and reputation of the underground facility locating industry in Canada.
As part of these responsibilities, CAPULC works in partnership with industry stakeholders to recognize Locators as an important occupation in an effort to standardize the industry in Canada. Through this mandate, CAPULC has reviewed available locator training programs, and endorses Locate Management’s “Underground Facility Locator (UFL) Certificate Program” (the “Program”) as being of superior quality.
This 3-step program includes 1) completing (preferably industry specific) knowledge development courses, 2) participating in field training classes and 3) assessing an individual’s skills.
- Knowledge development courses offered by Locate Management include:
- Petroleum Advanced Line Locating (PALL) – this course is designed to develop knowledge and skills associated with locating petroleum producer’s facilities.
- Transmission Advanced Line Locating (TALL) – this course is designed to develop knowledge and skills associated with locating transmission pipeline facilities.
- Utility Advanced Line Locating (UALL) – this course is designed to develop knowledge and skills associated with locating underground facilities (electric power, gas distribution, and telecommunications).
Each of these courses detail the necessary methods and procedures to safely perform facility locates within their respective industry as per applicable regulatory requirements, acts and industry best practices, as well as providing advanced solutions to abnormal operating conditions.
- Field training is delivered by Locate Management in one of two ways:
- Open enrollment classes
- Specific industry training purchased and arranged for a specific company.
Our experienced instructors have located in and trained in rural and urban areas including in some of the most facility congested areas in North America.
- Assessment of a Locator’s skills is achieved through the use of Locate Management’s Underground Facility Locator Field Task Competency Manual (UFL Manual). This manual represents the final step in the Underground Facility Locator Competency Cycle. Tasks within the manual are designated as complete upon 3 successful assessments over a six-month period. All required tasks for an industry must be marked complete within one year of the initial assessment to qualify for the UFL Certificate of Achievement for that industry. These industries include gas distribution, telecommunications, petroleum, electric power, transmission pipelines, potable water, sewer and storm water, each industry has generic and specific competencies that need to be met as outlined in the UFL Manual.
Completing the Underground Facility Locator (UFL) Certificate Program takes time. However, the learning benefits are many and should provide a Locator with the knowledge and experience to handle most situations that they will likely face within their industry.
To find out more information email us or call 844-568-7246